Zach Wilson’s contract
As the New York Jets report to training camp today, Zach Wilson remains the team’s only unsigned rookie out of Joe Douglas‘ 10-player 2021 draft class. Wilson was in Southern California as recently as Monday afternoon, according to his Instagram.
ESPN’s Rich Cimini has reported that it appears Wilson’s team and the Jets are disputing over offset language in his contract. If offset language is present in a contract, the team recoups some money in the event that the player is released prior to the conclusion of the deal.
Fellow first-round quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields signed deals with no offsets, whereas the Jets are known to always include offsets in their deals, likely creating the dilemma. San Francisco quarterback Trey Lance, drafted one slot after Wilson, also remains unsigned (as does 13th overall pick Rashawn Slater of the Chargers).
Here is a look at the Jets’ training camp and preseason schedule through the end of August.
Some key dates:
- Tuesday, July 27: Players report to training camp
- Wednesday, July 28: First training camp practice
- Saturday, July 31: First practice open to fans
- Saturday, August 7: Green and White Scrimmage at MetLife Stadium
- Saturday, August 14: Jets @ Giants preseason game
- Wednesday-Thursday, August 18-19: Scrimmage vs. Packers (Green Bay)
- Saturday, August 21: Jets @ Packers preseason game
- Tuesday-Wednesday, August 24-25: Scrimmage vs. Eagles (Florham Park)
- Friday, August 27: Eagles @ Jets preseason game
Eight of the Jets’ practices in New Jersey – including the Green and White Scrimmage at MetLife Stadium and two scrimmages against the Philadelphia Eagles in Florham Park – are open to fans. However, tickets to these practices are already sold out.
Players on this list may be activated to the active roster at any point prior to the season. If they remain on this list when the team cuts down to 53 players and are not activated, they must be placed on the Reserve/PUP list, which would hold them out for the first six weeks of the regular season.
Williams underwent successful foot surgery on May 5, which was reported to have a 10-12 week recovery timetable. Tomorrow (July 28) marks the 12-week point.
Phillips continues to rehab from an ankle injury that ended his 2020 season after seven games. Davis is coming off of foot surgery. Marshall’s injury has not been disclosed, but he was seen working off to the side during OTAs and minicamp.
Audio Version available to members only. Learn more here.