The New York Jets add another experienced assistant coach to their offensive staff
According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the New York Jets are hiring former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Todd Downing as their passing game coordinator.
The #Jets are hiring former #Titans OC Todd Downing as their new passing game coordinator, sources say, adding a veteran assistant with extensive experience to join new OC Nathaniel Hackett. Robert Saleh continues to beef up his offensive staff.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 13, 2023
Under offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, the Jets now have Downing as their passing game coordinator and Keith Carter as their run game coordinator. Carter, who doubles as the Jets’ offensive line coach, worked with Downing in Tennessee over the past four years, serving as the Titans’ offensive line coach.
Here is a look at Downing’s resume:
- 2021-22: Offensive coordinator, Tennessee Titans
- 2019-20: Tight ends coach, Tennessee Titans
- 2018: Tight ends coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2017: Offensive coordinator, Oakland Raiders
- 2015-16: Quarterbacks coach, Oakland Raiders
- 2014: Quarterbacks coach, Buffalo Bills
- 2012-13: Quarterbacks coach, Detroit Lions
- 2010-11: Assistant quarterbacks coach, Detroit Lions
- 2009: Offensive quality control coach, Detroit Lions
- 2008: Defensive quality control coach, St. Louis Rams
- 2006-07: Defensive assistant and special teams assistant, St. Louis Rams
- 2005: Offensive quality control coach, Minnesota Vikings
Downing, 42, led the Titans to 21st in offensive DVOA in 2022 and 20th in 2021. He was also the Raiders’ offensive coordinator for one season in 2017, leading them to 13th in offensive DVOA.
Notably, Downing spent three seasons in Oakland with Derek Carr, who is a possible quarterback target for the Jets. Downing spent two seasons as Carr’s quarterbacks coach before being promoted to Oakland’s offensive coordinator role in 2017. Carr made the Pro Bowl in each of his three seasons with Downing. Downing also spent the past four seasons alongside Ryan Tannehill, who could be a fallback option for the Jets at quarterback.
It’s also interesting to note that each of the Jets’ top three offensive leaders has a background as a tight ends coach. Downing, Carter, and Hackett have each served as a tight ends coach.
The FO seems to be positioning themselves for both Rodgers and Carr in hiring Hackett and Downing. With either QB they should be able to hit the ground running with a shorter learningcurve. Downing’s familiarity with Tannehill is a nice fall back option