Zach Wilson’s stretch run at BYU—Coastal Carolina included—featured incredible quarterback gifts when viewed from the NY Jets film room.
The full Jet X member-only video is near the bottom of this page and can also be seen on the Blewett's Blitz homepage (if you're a paid member and logged in).
Small-school quarterbacks always need a chip on at least one shoulder. It’s just that simple.
Wilson’s final four games saw him lead the Cougars to a 3-1 record (Coastal Carolina representing the only loss, of course). But contrary to popular belief, the kid didn’t play badly at all.
He threw for just 240 yards and one score against one interception on 19 of 30 passing, but the stat line can never paint the whole picture. Wilson’s translatable NFL abilities were not only apparent throughout the entirety of his collegiate career, but it showed up in this tough loss as well.
The keys when breaking down a quarterback’s loss are many.
- What did the supporting cast look like compared to the other side?
- Did he lose his composure at any point?
- How did he adjust to different situations throughout the game?
- Did desperation ever take away rationality or break down of mechanics?
In the case of Wilson vs. Coaston Carolina—and the rest of the stretch run of his magical senior season—Jets X-Factor has the answers.
Blewett’s Blitz podcast episode
Blewett’s Blitz is back with another episode, this time breaking down the New York Jets quarterback’s collegiate stretch run. It’s the stuff that cemented the organization’s decision to make Zach Wilson the next face of the franchise.
The full member-only film breakdown can be seen below (over 80 minutes in length).
The following are the links to the prior member-only Wilson breakdowns:
- Examining Zach Wilson’s mechanics
- Zach Wilson’s breakout season features NFL-type abilities
- The Jets should be thrilled with Zach Wilson’s potential