One O-lineman in, one O-lineman out
The New York Jets got one veteran blocker back but last another on Friday, as the team announced the activation of tackle George Fant while interior man Alex Lewis was granted exempt/left squad status. Lewis left Thursday’s practice with a head injury.
Fant, set to enter his second season with the team, was one of 15 NFL players placed on the COVID list when camps opened on July 27. The team said that he returned to practice on a limited basis this week, working to the side with trainers.
Formerly of the Seattle Seahawks, Fant started 14 games last season after signing a three-year deal worth $27.3 million. He is expected to compete for the primary right tackle job with the incoming Morgan Moses.
“George Fant has had fantastic OTAs and did a really nice job during minicamp,” head coach Robert Saleh said of Fant earlier this summer, per notes from the Jets. “He has all the tools necessary to be a successful right tackle. There’s a lot of competition from that spot and it’s going to be fun to watch.”
As for Lewis, he is once again set to miss some time as he prepares to embark upon his third season with the team. Brought in through a trade with Baltimore in the late stages of the 2019 offseason, Lewis has partaken in 26 games as a Jet, including nine last season at left guard.
Get Started: Learn More About Becoming A Jet X Member
Lewis missed the final six games of last season, spending most of that span on the non-football injury list. Lewis will likely serve as a depth option as the Jets brought in Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round of last spring’s NFL Draft, trading up with the Minnesota Vikings to take him with the 14th overall pick.
Geoff Magliocchetti is on Twitter @GeoffJMags
Audio Version available to members only. Learn more here.