All NFL teams were required to cut their rosters down to 53 players by 4 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, September 5.
With the deadline having passed, Joe Douglas‘ Jets roster is down to an initial group of 53 players. Of course, this group is very much subject to change. Across the league, players that were waived will be picked up by other teams – the Jets in particular could be active at spots like cornerback, wide receiver, inside linebacker, and the offensive line.
This is not the end for all players that were released by the Jets. Practice squads will be filled out in the coming days, and this year, they have been expanded to a limit of 16 players. The limit was previously 10, which was increased to 12 this offseason, and bumped up again to 16 (this year only) due to the COVID-19 circumstances. Look for the Jets to make an attempt to bring back young standouts like Lawrence Cager and Javelin Guidry via the practice squad.
The Jets will also most likely be placing some players on short-term injured reserve, opening up roster spots. In a new change effective for only this season, teams can place an unlimited number of players on short-term IR, and those players only need to be kept inactive for three weeks rather than the previous requirement of eight weeks.
Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith, Patrick Onwuasor, and Conor McDermott are among the players who could see time on short-term IR. Joe Flacco, La’Mical Perine, Jabari Zuniga, and Cameron Clark may also be considered.
Here are the moves made by the Jets to slim down to 53.
Jets Cuts/Roster moves
- QB David Fales (released)
- QB Mike White (waived)
- RB Josh Adams (waived)
- WR Lawrence Cager (waived)
- WR George Campbell (waived)
- WR Jehu Chesson (waived)
- WR Josh Malone (waived)
- WR Donte Moncrief (released)
- WR D.J. Montgomery (waived)
- TE Daniel Brown (released)
- TE Bronson Kaufusi (waived)
- TE Ross Travis (waived)
- OL Jonotthan Harrison (released)
- OL Josh Andrews (released)
- OL Jared Hilbers (waived)
- OL Corbin Kaufusi (waived)
- OL Brad Lundblade (waived)
- OL Jimmy Murray (waived)
- CB Javelin Guidry (waived)
- CB Nate Hairston (waived)
- CB Bryce Hall (reserve/non-football injury list)
- CB Lamar Jackson (waived)
- CB Zane Lewis (waived)
- DB Shyheim Carter (waived)
- S Matthias Farley (released)
- S Bennett Jackson (waived)
Here is how the roster looks at the moment.
Audio Version available to members only: Learn more here
Want More NY Jets News & Jets X-Factor Content?
Download the free Jet X Mobile App to get customizable notifications directly to your iOS (App Store) or Google/Android (Google Play) device.
Add Jets X-Factor to your Google News feed to stay up to date with the New York Jets.
Join the official Jets Discord community to connect with likeminded fans.